Can you honestly say that you love your church? I can. In fact, even on vacation, I can’t help but think about the future of New Song Church, especially in light of all of the tremendous things that the Spirit of God has been doing with her lately.
In January of 2006 I began serving the people of New Song Church in the capacity of Worship Arts Pastor, and so began my love-relationship with New Song. In March of 2010 I was asked to become the next Lead Pastor-a unique opportunity entrusted to me by the church’s founding pastor, Jeff Severt, the lay-leadership of New Song, and the leaders of the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church. I’m extremely grateful to all of these folks for entrusting me with such an extraordinary opportunity. And, I realize that the reason our church is so awesome is because of so many others who sacrificed so much to help make New Song such an amazing place.
Since becoming Lead Pastor in 2010, my love for the church has grown to depths that I never dreamed possible. Here are 5 Reasons Why I Love My Church:
1. The People – The people of New Song are the most authentic group of Christ Followers that I’ve ever known. They are the real deal-not posers. They’re a mess, in need of God’s amazing Grace, and not afraid to admit it. How beautiful! How real! They are sold-out for Jesus, compassionate, generous, loving, gracious, and possess so many other Christ-like attributes.
2. The Staff – I’m blessed to serve with a very gifted, cohesive, and God-loving staff. Each member of our team puts the mission of the church above themselves. They’re honest, trustworthy, hard-working (always going above and beyond), and dependable. They operate with an extraordinary level of integrity. Also, we have a lot of fun together! We are family-we laugh, cry, argue, and love each other’s families, too. Is the staff perfect? No. But, neither is their leader…so, it’s a great match.
3. The Lay-Leadership – New Song Church has the most forward-thinking, dedicated, group of lay-leaders that I’ve ever known. They give everything they have physically, emotionally, and spiritually to serve the church. Like the staff, they are always willing put the mission of the church first, even if it means sacrificing their own personal likes. They are leaders of leaders and will always give you the last 10% of what they are thinking because they know what’s at stake-hope for the world-the Gospel.
4. The Volunteers – New Song Church has the best volunteers on the face of the planet! They invest their time, talent, and treasure so generously. They serve the church faithfully, endlessly, and passionately for two reasons: 1. Because they want to bring one more person to Jesus, and 2. Because they love their church and believe in the mission of “Helping people connect to God.” The volunteers of New Song are the engine of the church. They are the doers! Without them, the church could not operate. They have an immense heart for God and are strong warriors for His Kingdom!
5. She’s Not Perfect – In Ephesians 5:25-27 the Apostle Paul tells us that Christ loved The Church so much that he gave himself up for her so that she (The Church) could be made perfect one day-without spot, wrinkle, or any blemish-holy and blameless. Right now, the church is made up of imperfect people like you and me, and as long as we’re in the church, there will be imperfection. However, one day when Christ returns, he shall make both us, and his Bride (The Church) perfect. Meanwhile, we have to figure out how to live with the tension of being messy and imperfect. I love that! It’s a picture of how God loves and accepts me in spite of my sin, and it shows just how badly I need and depend upon his grace. I’m a champion for grace! The Church is God’s vehicle to share his grace and his love to everyone, everywhere. Therefore, I’m a champion for the church!
There you have it-5 Reasons Why I Love My Church.
6. The onion dome. It may look funny, but it makes us unique and gives us personality!
HaHaHaHa Rachel! I’m not sure I would’ve put that one on the list, but you are right-the “igloo dome” definitely gives us personality!
Thanks so much for reading and for serving both God and New Song Church so faithfully!
I loved this. It truly describes our church and I have to agree. How can I get signed back up on your blog. I was and then you changed sights and I thought I signed back up correctly, but your blog doesn’t come to my email anymore.
Thanks for the affirming comments about New Song. I really appreciate your family-you guys are part of what makes the church so special!
We are having a problem with the feed-burner service which sends out the email updates. We are in the midst of correcting the issue and will send out an email notification once it’s fixed. So sorry for the inconvenience.
I love the amazing people at New Song, they are authentic. I also love that our church is not afraid to embrace the good sense of humor that God gave us!
Agreed! They must have a great sense of humor because they let us in! 🙂